Small Designs Mag

Small Designs Mag

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Simple story, big ideas - Interview Farm to Front Porch

“I am a wife, christian, momma to Rufus the Siberian husky, travel enthusiast, event director by day and craft junkie by night” – This beeng said I present you Domique, the owner of Farm to Front Porch.


Dominique comes with ingenious products made of burlap. Her designs bring you the cosy atmosphere into your home. The online business she has on Etsy is just a hobby, but she puts everything she has to make rich high quality products. You can choose from various items such as jars, burlap wreaths, burlap bows, burlap banners, wedding décor and home décor. 

I talked to Dominique to see where does this burlap passion come from.

Who is the person behind Farm to Front Porch?
Dominique
I am a New Jersey native that migrated to North Carolina for college. I fell in love with the state and made it my permanent home. I have always been in love with DIY & crafting, several art pieces in our home have been painted/created by me! I currently work as the Director of Membership & Events for a state Association. I love animals, cooking, crafting, and traveling!. Our most recent trip included a journey to Greece, Italy, & Turkey! I love immersing myself in other cultures.



Where did you get the idea for your business and when did you get started?
Dominique with her father-in-law
My father-in-law is a farmer in Eastern NC. On a farm tour he mentioned to me that they use tobacco sheets (aka burlap bags) for some of their crops. My mind immediately went to Pinterest and all the things I could create if I could get my hands on one! He got one for me, I took it home and made a wreath. I loved working with burlap, and told my husband I wanted to keep making wreaths. He was supportive but commented that we only have so many doors in our house – so I came up with the idea to open an Etsy shop! The idea came to me in October of 2013, and my shop was up and running January 2014.

How did you come up with your brand name?
Farm to Front Porch just came to me after creating the wreath – I got the burlap bag from the farm, and I was putting the wreath on my front porch! Seems way too simple I know, but that’s how it happened!

How did you start this passion?
I have been crafting since I was a kid – but Pinterest definitely opened my mind to all new ideas, and made it so easy! I planned my wedding 3 years ago and realized how hard it was to find what I was looking for, and not go broke buying the things I did like. I wanted to have a shop that was custom and unique, without breaking the bank.

What goes into making such interesting items?
Burlap is tricky to work with because it frays so easily, so you have to be careful when handling it. To make my banners I cut strips of burlap, hand paint with stencils, let dry, seal the edges to protect from fraying edges, and glue the jute to the back. The whole process takes roughly 40 minutes. Distressed mason jars are a little more time consuming, mainly because you have to let the paint completely dry before adding another coat or it will rub off. Wreaths take the most time – I use wire wreath forms and loop burlap through, careful not to harm the material. Creating a wreath can take up to 1 ½ hours.

What is your favorite thing to make?
My favorite thing to make would have to be the mason jars – I love that you can make them look as distressed or neat as you want, and no 2 look the same.

Which one is your best seller?
I am still relatively new, but so far my best seller would be the “One” first birthday banner. I love the idea that the banner is being used to celebrate a baby’s first birthday, gives me warm fuzzies J

How do people get in touch with you? Where do you sell? Do you have a site or blog?
 I use social media (Twitter, Facebook, & Pinterest), and I sell on Etsy (www.etsy.com/shop/FarmToFrontPorch). @FarmFrontPorch

Do you run your business full-time?
I do not run my business full time – I currently have a full time job as the Director of Membership & Events for a state Association. My Etsy shop is my passion and I would love to dedicate more time to it eventually!

I see a lot of people starting their handmade business. What do you think makes you stand out from the crowd?
My quality & customer service is second to none. I always respond within 1-2 hours of receiving a message, I can custom create anything – just ask! I am meticulous with my work, you will always get a one of a kind handmade item.

Dominique with her husband and dog Rufus

0 comentarii:

Post a Comment